Friday 6 January 2017

Hey Sunshine by Tia Glacalone


Hey Sunshine, Tia Glacalone
7/10


I have a lot of unanswered questions but before that, this was a great book. It was nice and cutesy and happy and I didn’t cry or emotionally break down which was nice. Being able to actually find a good book after months and months of a book slump that I thought I’d never get out of, Hey Sunshine was a happy ending to those dark months.
The story isn’t too complicated and its not like other books where everything goes well and suddenly, there’s a huge issue because *plot twist* the guy is hiding 70 secrets and murdered 3 people oh no what ever will happen to this relationship noooooo! (okay but seriously though) Hey Sunshine was the story of a girl who thought she had a happy life, but then life happened, things changed and she dealt with it. Fast forward 4 years, she has a chance of getting back her former happy life and she wants that. She wants to go back to when things weren’t complicated so when Mr. High School Boyfriend comes waltzing back in, she goes to him and they live happily ever after (not so much). Of course, Mr. High School Boyfriend brings back a very eye-pleasing friend with him and before you think that this spirals into a love triangle, NO. I liked that about the book. It wasn’t what you were expecting. There weren’t any major plot twists and my heart remained relatively calm throughout the entire book. No one died, there were no tears (of heartbreak…actually no there were but let’s be fair, you could see the bus coming from miles away). Relatable characters? Meh. I mean I don’t know what its like to have a future planned out but I liked the characters. They were nice and funny and as always, there’s the side characters who interest me more than the main ones. Oh also, the guy’s name is Fox. With a name like that, you KNOW the book is going to be great. Also, I very much admire a fictional character’s motivation and determination to keep moving on with life even when it starts falling apart. Although I would like to read one where the main character has his/her life wrecked and he/she goes from being almost perfect to a trash bag of disaster.
Despite all this, I give the book a nice half-way rating because 1) it was cute and got me back into reading but 2) it didn’t emotionally do anything to me, which is what I read books for. It was fun for sure though and everyone could do with some happiness in their lives. Also can someone PLEASE explain the ending to me because I refuse to believe that it had a bad ending. I’m going to IGNORE the epilogue completely and pretend that this book was all rainbows and sunshine (haha) and you should totally read it because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy which is nice. 

#Lady of Cheese#

Post-review update: there is a second book and further research shows that it is a re-telling of Hey Sunshine from Fox's POV which could answer a lot of open ends. But re-reading the same story might be a bit overkill so Night Fox (which is a really cool name for a book) will have to wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment